Sculptured out of volcanic activity and thousands of years in the making, Wai-O-Tapu is considered to be New Zealand’s most colourful and diverse geothermal sightseeing attraction. You are introduced to a uniquely different natural landscape – the key to what you see lies below the surface – one of the most extensive geothermal systems in New Zealand. Clearly defined tracks provide the visitor with the opportunity to enjoy the diversity of this area through a series of different walks taking from 30 to 75 minutes or more, each with their own unique volcanic vistas to fascinate all ages.
With the nature of the reserve being an active volcanic area and the undulating terrain, those with disabilities may have some difficulties making their way around the reserve. We strongly recommend that you enquire at the ticket counter when purchasing your tickets as to what route is best suited for you.
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland – www.waiotapu.co.nz
35km Southeast of Rotorua
TLS departures from Rotorua I-Site:
- 8.15, 12.00
- Includes stops at the mud pool (both trips) and geyser (morning only). Final drop off at visitor centre.
TLS pickups from Waiotapu Visitor Centre:
- 13.00 (in Rotorua 13.45)
- 16.45 (in Rotorua 17.30)
- Return transport and entry: $79 morning
- Return transport only: $65
- One way transport: $45
- One way transport with Bicycle: $45
- Child (0-14yrs): half price
- Choose a half-day or full-day return.
- Hot springs are 5-minute walk from the visitor centre.
- Bring a towel, swimwear, and drinking water for memorable soak in geothermal hot springs.
- Always dress to conditions and wear suitable footwear.
- Vist Wai-o-tapu and Waimangu in the same day!